Monday, April 23, 2018

2018 StanCo Scholarship Winner


The mission of StanCo Distance is to promote high school distance running and runners of Stanislaus County. For the first time, this year I decided to award a $500 scholarship. The main criteria was that the applicants had to have competed in both XC and track for a StanCo school all four years of high school.

There were 5 people who applied for the scholarship: Alondra Hernandez Zamora and Carlos Aguilera both of Riverbank; Mikaelyn Bickel, Esmeralda Aguayo Ruiz, and Meghan Matas all of Downey. Over the four years I had spoken to all 5 individuals and photographed each dozens (if not hundreds) of times.

The prompt for the essay was "How distance running has positively changed/influenced your life?"
Below are excerpts from each of the essays.

ESMERALDA AGUAYO RUIZ (Downey) says, "One of the biggest things I believe running changed about me was my eating. I've always been a healthy eater but once I started to run, I was more conscientious about what I put into my body. I didn't want to eat something that made my run the next day feel miserable. I began to lead a better life and became a happier person. My running hasn't just affected me. It affected my parents too. This is where running helped develop the leader side of me. My parents always saw me running, stretching, and doing all these workouts, and I somehow influenced them to start working out and pick up running. I helped them change so they could lead healthier lives."

CARLOS AGUILERA (Riverbank) writes, "Prior to cross country my freshman year, I had done no sports whatsoever. The first few practices were the hardest moments of my life, I had nearly quit so many times that I lost count. However, with encouragement from Coach Wood and Searway along with my teammates I stuck it out and here I am about to complete my fourth track season. Distance running has helped me in so many aspects of my life. Physically, I became healthier and developed a sense of endurance and athleticism that I never knew I could reach. Physical benefits aside, the real prize I have gained from becoming a runner was the mental strength it taught me."

MIKAELYN BICKEL (Downey) states, "I have learned that I have a voice and a calling in my life to be a good example and to lead others. Every race during cross country I got the opportunity to lead a prayer circle with my girls. I always thought of this prayer to be a great way to bring us closer together and to remember why we are doing this sport. This prayer also allows us to refocus on our race and to calm our nerves. I constantly remind the girls that out strength comes from the Lord on the course. I feel that I have become a very strong racer, in which I do not let my pain get in the way, I fight through the battle till the race is done. I am so happy to have gotten the opportunity to be team captain because not everyone knows of how well distance training is and how it can benefit their lives and I love that I can be someone that gets to spread the news."

ALONDRA HERNANDEZ ZAMORA (Riverbank) explains, "Distance running has changed my life in such a positive way; before I began running, I was so shy and I did not like opening up to new ideas or people because I was scared, but since I started running, opening up and trying new things is something that is worth trying. Everytime that I get on the line, I see myself doing the best and making everyone who supports me proud, and when the gun goes off, it is me with the world working together, it is the best feeling ever. That feeling of beginning the race and ending a race is just unexplainable because one has to live it in order to be able to experience the magic completely. Not only that, but distance running specifically has helped me become a better and stronger person. I know I am capable of overcoming any obstacle or any challenge that I face in my life because running is such a difficult sport..."

MEGHAN MATAS (Downey) says, "Cross country has given me more than just life skills, but also a second family. My cross country team never fails to support and encourage me in numerous aspects of my life beyond running. I can always depend on my cross family and I know that they will always be there for me..Distance running apart from racing is therapeutic. Running allows me to escape the chaos of my busy life and allows me to keep a healthy lifestyle. Because of the people I have met, the life lessons I have learned, and the love I have for running, I classify running as one of the biggest influences in my life. Overall, cross country has impacted my life in more ways than I can count and even though I will not be competing in cross country in college, I know for a fact that I will continue to run because it has become such a large aspect of my daily life."


After reading through the five complete applications, essays, transcripts, and letters from the coaches; it became very obvious that the selection of THE ONE individual would be a difficult decision. I had a teacher at my school read through the essays, and she recommended one person. My wife read through them and selected another. I narrowed it to three and read the essays again. Honestly I could have made a strong case for any of the applicants. Without a doubt they are all deserving as is evident in their impressive grades and powerful essays. However one of the personal stories spoke just a bit louder to me, and ultimately that is what tipped the scales.

So I selected CARLOS AGUILERA as the 2018 StanCo Distance Scholarship recipient.  Unlike most of the other applicants Carlos was never that guy--the "Top Dog." In fact he hasn't even broken 5 min in the 1600m. But his improvement and recent leadership role for his team are remarkable. For him it has been a bumpy road, but he never failed to smile through those struggles.

Still not convinced? Read his final two paragraphs...
Here are the final two paragraphs of of the winning application essay by Carlos Aguilera.

"Moreover, running was a way for me to grow as a person and it has helped me through some hard times in life. My dad has had an ongoing kidney issue for a long time, he’s had two transplants so far and it’s still a climb to be fully healthy. During my freshman year, his initial transplanted kidney began to fail and he was hospitalized. Running was a way for me to really think and during runs I’d reflect on things going on. It became almost like an escape and it was therapeutic to be able to think during an 8 mile run. Running has also brought an overwhelming support from my family and it is something that has brought me closer.

Thus, becoming a distance runner has been the greatest choice I made in high school. It made me physically healthier, mentally stronger and responsible. But, most importantly, it has introduced me to an extended family within the Riverbank Cross Country and Track/Field family and I am forever grateful to my coaches and teammates for believing in me."

Congratulations Carlos!


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Carlos and to all the applicants! A big thank you to Screamin Scott for all that you do! You all impress and are winners!!

    ReplyDelete